I don’t remember when I first heard about “God Sightings”, but I know that for many years now, one of the favorite parts of camp for campers and staff alike are when we have daily check-ins and share our God-Sightings. And it can be anything from a smile from a friend to the beauty of nature….anything that made you aware of the goodness and love of God.
Right now I’m surrounded by all types of food stuffs and paper goods that I’ll be taking up to Beeeeeeautiful Lake Tahoe tomorrow to “work” as co-chief cook & server for a wonderful group of women. But first I need to finish my food checklist…..because, what’s my life without a checklist? =) Then I need to pack, taking care to include the oh-so-important “cords of life”….you know, chargers, power cords, etc…..and then try to get enough shut-eye to keep my peepers open while I work half a day tomorrow before I hit the road for a 6 hour drive.
And so, as I sit here, reflecting on the day and anticipating the day ahead tomorrow, I’m thinking about “God Sightings.” And since I’m a little short on time this night, I’m going to try something new; I’m going to say a quick prayer, then quickly list the people, places and ways I saw God today that spring to mind. I wonder if it will work….let’s see!
Today’s God Sightings:
- The stunning morning sky with at least a dozen shades of grey and blue
- Fresh morning coffee made by my sweetie to enjoy on my drive
- A hot bowl of rice for breakfast – again the kindness of above sweetie
- The patience of my trainer at work who reminds me there are no “bad” questions.
- A meeting with the CEO in which he talked about company integrity….and meant it.
- Lunch break with one of my favorite people =)
- More afternoon training with genuinely nice, caring people
- Relaxing drive home with groovy music
- Meeting with a young Mom who volunteers her time to serve the church
- Getting a small “preview” of the message I will miss by not being at church this Sunday
- The Dad who was so patient with his little girl at the grocery store.
- The checker who closed his lane down so I could go back and get the cream cheese I forgot
- A helpful guy at home who remembered to get out the tire thingys in case it snows, and also changed a burned out headlight (a loathsome task in our Kia!)
- (and many, many more….)
I think it’s safe to say, when I just scan through this busy, but really quite ordinary day, there are so many ways I can think of that God was present. Maybe not in a burning bush or a cloud of fire, but present nonetheless! And if I can literally think of things faster than I can type them, what must that mean?
Maybe…..when I take the time to look for God….to find my God Sightings….I see that they are all around me….all the time. So, yea…..I’d say it worked!
Just thought of one more…..I’m seeing God here….right now….as once again God so faithfully comes through to help me fulfil this Lenten promise to write about what I hear God saying in each day. =) Twenty-seven days…..each one my own God-Sighting……how blessed am I?!
Hoe you caught a glimpse of “Beeeeeeautiful Lake Tahoe” before starting dinner!
Thank you Shellie! Good thoughts as usual. Enjoy your weekend, wish I was going!